Thursday, August 5, 2010

Contemplations of Inequalities...

It seems like I can never make up my mind and my plans are constantly changing as a result. Here I sit at nearly three in the morning because I can't sleep because I have too many things on my mind. Although I am not the best in the world at math, I can do math and I've been adding the cost of things up and realizing that I can't really afford to stay here in Utah and go to a public University with out of State tuition. There is BYU here but its cheap for members of the LDS church. My cousin is trying to convince me to transfer to BYU Idaho because its something like $1500 per semester there for church members so that is pretty cheap.

Ergh.... The US educational system really bugs me when it comes to residency and tuition. Why can't we be like Canada where there is one tuition rate at all public Universities for all Canadian Citizens and Permanent residents and another higher tuition rate for non Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents. It would give us a whole lot more choice for Education Options.

For example in my birth state Maryland, in state tuition at University of Maryland is something like $4000 a semester bringing the grand total for 2 semesters a year to something around $8000 a year. For out of state students it is something like $28,000 a year. Not many people can afford that. I can't.

Also speaking of education we also need to switch to the metric system and stay on it as if I understand correctly, the US is the only country in the world which is not on the metric system. When it comes to international business we are losing money due to the fact that we have to convert everything to the metric system when doing business abroad.

So yes there is a possibility of me moving back to Arizona by next summer. At this rate I can't afford to stay in Utah. At UVU out of state tuition is $6000 a semester. For financial aid I get a pell grant and a subsidized student loan and a unsubsidized student loan and then the remaining balance which is about $1000 I have to cover myself which is doable. However I hate debt and even though these loans are going towards my education I still don't like being in debt which is one reason I am considering transferring to a Maricopa County Community College as I am still considered a resident there at least till after income tax filing time depending on if my Dad claims me as a dependent or not. At this rate it is quite likely he will. I need to start saving more anyways so I really need to create a strict budget and follow through with it.

However if I moved back to Arizona I would need to get a job lined up before moving back. Any suggestions anyone? Oh and I also need to get rid of some of my crap. I moved up here with way too much crap and it was a pain in the butt to move it up here. Some of it I'm probably going to be giving to my sister and my old clothes I'm saving for when my parents come to visit sometime before December to see if any of my siblings could use any of it and the stuff they don't want or need I'll donate to a thrift store.

4 comments:

Ritsuka said...

goodwill, salvation army, maybe even ebay. and rio salado college is actually really good. some classes you can take in person, and even though most of them you take online it was a really pleasant experience for me when i took one of their classes online (i've taken online classes thru mesa distance learning and it was terrible, so i was a little wary about rio salado. but it was very positive! :) ) i know what you mean about plans changing constantly, i have too many things that i would love to do and am constantly trying to think of ways to make them happen! that's shitty that BYU is so much cheaper for members. just another reason for me to dislike the church. as for job opportunites, i think it really depends on where you end up living if you come back here, obviously you'd prefer to work at a job that's closer to your home than one that's farther away (right?)

David said...

I don't really hate BYU for being cheaper for Lds church members as it is subsidized by their tithing contributions so its a educational benefit for them.

Yeah I've taken online High School Classes before and it really depends on which school you go through. I took classes through Primavera and their layout for their classes helps you to do well. I actually graduated from them and it was great to finally have my diploma.

As for college classes I think I would take some classes online such as History but math I would take in person.

Well I wouldnt be living at my Parents house. I would probably move to Mesa or Tempe or Scottsdale or Phoenix but I really have no desire to go back to Gilbert because of all of the drama there.

Ritsuka said...

wait what happened in gilbert?

David said...

Just people my age couldn't get their heads out of their asses and stop being jerks. Plus I was basically disfellowshipped by kids my age in the lds church for not going to one of the local High Schools such as Basha and being different.